Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation are not required for all universities. For instance, in California the UC system and the CSU system do not require letters of rec. However, many private schools do. For specific information, please visit the admissions page for the university (universities) of your interest. Note that sometimes the universities ask for the letters to come from very specific subject teachers. Also note that your counselor will most likely also need to write a letter. See the timeline below.
- Ask letter writer for recommendation 3-4 weeks before deadline
- Give a resume or brag sheet (example below) 3 -4 weeks before deadline
- Give writer a friendly reminder of due date 1 week before deadline
- Follow up with letter writer to make sure there 3 days before deadline
are no problems or questions (if needed)
- Send writer a Thank you note via email or a physical card 1-2 weeks after deadline
- You need to fill out a brag sheet for EACH recommendation letter you request or at least provide them with a resume. The best thing to do would be to fill ONE out completely, except for the name of the scholarship or college, deadline, address, etc. PHOTOCOPY the original as many times as you need then all you have to do is to fill out the top part of each different letter.
- Make sure to fill out the Brag Sheet completely and accurately or supply your resume with all information.